Subject: Fast-tracking the TPP: You can't change a single word of it.
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 18:27:26 +0000
Would you agree to a simple up or down vote on an incredibly complex, 1,000-page long trade agreement -- in just ninety days? What if you knew that you couldn't change a single word?
That's what corporate lobbyists are demanding of Congress right now.
As Robert Reich explained in the video we shared with you on Thursday, the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is "the worst trade deal you've never head of." Big corporations want Congress to give up their power to review and amend the TPP. If the president gets this "fast track authority," our representatives will be forced to make a take-it-or-leave-it decision on a trade deal that would be devastating to the middle class.
Fortunately, progressive congressmembers on Capitol Hill are rallying against fast track authority and the TPP. Senator Elizabeth Warren has spoken out against the TPP and opposes giving the president fast track authority. Members of Congress are starting to side with her -- but the White House is pushing back, hard.
It's going to take a huge effort by progressives to stop a trade deal that many are calling "NAFTA on steroids." We can win this battle -- but only if we get organized to fight and win right now.
That's where you come in. Will you chip in $3 or more now to help DFA ramp up our campaign to stop fast track authority and defeat the TPP?
Take a quick look at what's in the TPP and you'll see why its backers want to go around Sen. Elizabeth Warren and other progressives. That's because the TPP:
- Makes it easier for corporations to send American jobs overseas
- Undermines wages by forcing Americans to compete with workers in countries where the average wage is just 56 cents an hour
- Puts our health at risk by allowing unregulated food products into our country
- Erodes important safeguards designed to prevent future financial crises
- Allows companies to use secret trade tribunals to challenge and override U.S. laws, including labor and environmental protections
- Prevents the U.S. from enacting new limits on toxic financial products, or from taxing international financial transactions
We've seen how past trade agreements, like NAFTA, have destroyed good jobs and eroded the middle class. We can't let it happen again.
To defeat fast track authority and "NAFTA on steroids," we need your help. Please chip in $3 or more now so DFA can ramp up our campaign against the TPP.
Thank you for fighting with us to block this undemocratic deal.
Jim Dean, Chair
Democracy for America
Paid for by Democracy for America, http://www.democracyforamerica.com/?t=1&akid=5844.2843756.RG8l3K and not authorized by any candidate. Contributions to Democracy for America are not deductible for federal income tax purposes.